1997 Escort - Heater Core?

My wife came home yesterday and said her car smelled really bad inside and that the floor was wet under the driver seat. I didn't really think much about it
until I drove it on an errand.
The coolant light was on and a mist was coming out of the defroster. The floor was not wet where your feet would be which threw me off at first. The coolant reservoir tank was bone dry.
I am pretty sure, but want do double check. Sound like the heater core?
Is this one that you should just take in for the work because of all the hassle of dash removal and such or do you recommend doing this one yourself.
Brian

Yes.
I do not know for sure how hard this heater core is to replace on a 1997. Personally I would take a whole weekend of a couple of days off of work to do it. It is a PIA, but it's not rocket science either. It's very expensive if you have to pay someone else to do it.