1997 ford escort

i own a 1997 escort with 4 doors . and manual shift . my question is about my fuel pump . quite frequently the fuel pump in my car developes a rather annoying
hum. at times it can be loud enough to be heard from outside the car . the car runs fine . no loss of power . is this noise common , should i consider changing the pump if so where can i find printed instructions on how to change the pump? any help would be appreciated .
--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface.
Articles individually verified to usenet standards.

Ford has had loud fuel pumps for many years. I myself wouldn't worry about it until it goes because a lot of replacement pumps are probably worse than what you have in there now. Unless, of course, that it is extremely loud.
The replacement part involves taking off the gas tank, replacing the fuel pump and then reinstalling the tank back on your car.

It is NOT necessary to remove the fuel tank in order to change the fuel pump !!! Who told you that removal of the fuel pump is required ??

Quite right. It's under the back seat...
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/13/c3/a8/0900823d8013c3a8/repairInfoPages.htm

My mistake. I've removed too many that were in the tank......

Okay, okay, it's still "in the tank", but you don't have to drop anything to get to it.
I have 1986 Escort GL. Can I access fuel pump without removing tank?

My 97 Escort also has a really loud whine that's audible when you stand behind the running car, but it's perfectly quiet when you're inside. I would let it go until it shows signs of failing (low fuel pressure).