1997 Ford Escort electrical problem

My brother-in-law owns a 1997 Ford Escort Wagon, and is now having problems with it. Problem being when a certain fuse is inserted into the fuseblock
under the dash (slot is named "room" in schematic), the brakelights come on and stay on. The other problem is that when the brakes a pressed, the radio will come on, but otherwise the radio will not work at all. I have looked under the dash, and I did manage to find 4 wires that were slightly melted and fused together, but I did cut them out and replaced them, soldering them and wrapping them in electrical tape. Still, no change. I did some further searching under the dash, looking for melted wires or possible shorts, but could not find anything.
Could anybody give me some clues as to what the problem might be, as well as possible places to start looking. Any help would much greatly appreciated.
If you would like, feel free to email me at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca
Thanks
Jeff