1997 Ford Expedition

I have a 1997 Ford Expidition, we have been having a problem with it. After it gets warmed up (Ie..after we have driven for about 20 minutes) it begins this grinding upon turning and accelerating.It sounds like the tire rubbing on the fender, but it's not. We replaced the wheel bearings, and have checked just about everything we can think of...any suggestions?

Reply to
Sara0323

2WD, 4WD? Is the noise at the front or the rear? If 4WD are you in 2WD Mode, or A4WD mode? How many miles? What sort of tires? If 4WD, dod you have the front halfshafts schecked out?

I'd suggest joinging the Expedition Owner's Group mailing list and posting your question there. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for you input, in answer to your questions, my Expedition is a 4WD, it happens when in 2WD, I haven't tried to see if it does the same in 4WD. It has 165000. miles on it, but has been well cared for. The noise comes fron the middle, and sounds alot like a bad U-Joint, but I have had those checked they are fine. I'll try the Expidition owners Group. Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Sara0323

Definitely try it in 4WD (not A4WD) and see if the noise changes. It is often very difficult to determine where noises are coming from, but I have a couple of additional thoughts -

The torsion bars are anchored underneath the middle of the car. It might be that they are either transmitting the noise from the front suspension to the middle of the car, or they may actually be the source of the noise. It is also possible you have a bad motor or transmission mount. Finally, make sure the exhaust system is not contacting anything when you turn or accelerate - verify all the hangers are good and the pipes are straight (well as designed). Is there a chance you bent an exhaust system component? My sister managed to back her Honda onto a curb and kinked the exhaust pipe and it made all sorts of strange noises in the car - even though nothing looked that bad. And of course it could be a problem with the transfer case. Have you had the fluid in that changed per the recommended schedule (every

60,0000 miles)?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White