1997 Ford Mustang cannot move automatic shifter out of Park position

My wife parked her 1997 Mustang last night and this morning it will start just fine but the shifter is stuck in the park position. Anyone have any
suggestions on how to fix this?
--
Larry D Gibbs
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Yep. Your brake on/of (BOO) switch is bad. It needs replaced asap, because more than likely the brake lights aren't working either. To get it in gear, shut the car off. Put the shifter in neutral, then start the car.
You're welcome,
CJB
I cannot get it out of the park position with the car running or not running. It seems to be stuck in that position for some reason.

I think you may have to put the key in the run position or something, with the car engine off, of course. There's a proceedure in you owner's manual if you still have it.
CJB
Larry D Gibbs wrote:

Put the key in the column.
Turn it toward start ONE position... unlock column only... no lights on dash.
Shift to neutral.
Start the car.
Drive away.
Rob
You are correct that the brake light don't work, where exactly is this switch located and how hard is it to replace?

The replacement is surprisingly easy. The switch is up the brake pedal shaft from the brake pedal. The harness unplugs and the switch is held in place with a clip, if I remember correctly.
You should probably check with your dealer about a free replacement. I know that some models had a recall on the BOO Switch. My 2000 Taurus wagon did. It ate BOO switches.
Good luck,
CJB
CJB wrote:

Back up a minute. HE siad the brake light was out. If a brake light is out, it will have the same effect. its not necessarily the boo switch.
At least thats how it is on my ford truck, when a brake light is out, it won't come out of park.
Check the bulbs first, ground path goes thru them, then check boo switch

Thanks for all the help, I got the switch off and noticed one of the wires was burnt/corroded so I will need to replaced the plug to the switch. The fuses were not burned out. I was able to get the lever into the neutral position and will try to replaced the switch myself, it looks like a simple repair the only problem I see is replacing the plug because it looks like I will need to splice the wires into the new plug. I will go to the ford dealership tomorrow for the plug and switch. I went to Shucks they had the switch but not the plug.

Good, they're giving you the new switch. The wiring was part of the problem, iirc, so you will want to fix the whole pigtail. You really should ask the dealer if you're covered under the recall. You can also contact Ford to find out.
CJB