1997 Ford Ranger Fuel gauge doesn't work

Can someone give me the most common reasons for this? sender? gauge itself? any ideas are appreciated

Reply to
dds

Sending unit in the tank...

Close to $200.00 for the part and it is a nasty job...

Good Luck

Reply to
429SCJ

I had this problem on my 83 Ranger. My pop took it to his friend who was a teacher a local vocational school so they could check it out (in case it was a nasty repair) and it turned out to be a small deal ... the little hose that returns air back out from the tank when you fill it had worked itself loose and gotten caught, getting stuck on something or other and causing the stickness.

IIRC, he stuck a screwdriver in the tank or in the hole where the hose was or something, manouvered it back in place, and epoxyed it.

YMMV, but you might want to find someone who has heard of this and could give it a shot.

~BJ

Reply to
beta_jester

Same thing happened on my 1995 Ranger. Ended up bad sending unit in fuel tank. You can either keep track of mileage to decide when to fill up or have the fuel pump and sending unit replaced. The dealer charged me about $400 for the part and install. Had to remove either the gas tank or the truck bed to get to it.

I.Care

Reply to
I. Care