1997 Ford Taurus: Blend Door Actuator

I have a 1997 Taurus with manual climate controls. The temperature blend door actuator, behind the ash tray, is making a thumping, clicking sound.

The dealer says it will take $600 to replace the blend door actuator. Is there a way to disable the blend door actuator? Can I remove the power to it? Will it affect the car?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Stephen Cao

You could disconnect it, but you would have no control over the output temperature of heater/AC. That's what the blend door actuator does.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom:

Thanks for the quick response.

So you are saying: other than having no control over the output temperature of the heater/AC, the car will not be affected? I ask this because the thumping only happens when I start the engine, not when there is power to the radio and power windows.

Reply to
Stephen Cao

That's correct. There is no connection between the blend door actuator and the radio or windows,

Reply to
Tom Adkins