1997 Ford Taurus-Engine 'dinging'

This has been going on for about a week now. When I start my car, it immediately has a dinging sound--sounds like the Salvation Army bell during Christmas time :)--ding, ding, ding and so on. It sounds like it's
right in front of the driver's side. You can't hear it from inside the car--only outside. As soon as the car warms up, after about 5 minutes, it stops. I've looked under the hood and see nothing that can be seen. What could this be? Thank you!
iluvtolaff wrote:

You better check carefully or get stuck. Best guess, your belt tensioner has had it center screw on its tension pulley come loose. If this comes off, the serp will fly off and you will be stuck. Happened to my wife's 93 once. The bolt came loose and went through the radiator overflow.
You also need to check to see if you water pump has worn eccentric. Those years had problems with water pumps so if its high mileage, replacing it would be good preventative maintenance.
Bob
-

Sounds like a bad belt tensioner?????