1997 ford taurus - help

Basically, the RPM will shoot up to 3-4 when I am only driving 20-30 MPH. Also, when I brake fully, the MPH will go down to 0, but the RPM will not, it?ll stop at 1.

Whats the deal? Thanks in advance for any help. =]

Reply to
ss311

Sounds like a normally functioning transmission to me.. If you are accelerating hard then it will get up to 3-4,000rpm's before shifting into

3rd.

The whole purpose behind the torque converter is to allow the vehicle to stop, yet NOT kill the engine.. So basically you should see about 750rpms

+/- 100rpm, when you are at a stop... So if its sitting around 1,000rpm at a stop sign, check to make sure you dont have the A/C on..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech