~1997 mercury sable wagon "Power Antenna" Won’t Go

I have a 1997 Mercury Sable Wagon. My power antenna won?t go down. I can hear the motor trying to work. But it won?t go down. I brought it my mechanic and he told me that it would cost me $300 to fix it....or $150 for a manual antenna. Now, I don?t plan on paying that much for an antenna when my radio works since it is stuck in th up position. Maybe someone knows how i can fix it myself. I would assume that the motor is not seized since i can hear it humming and trying to work. Maybe there is something else that needs replacing. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Reply to
yellowtreats

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Probably the nylon drive gear strip has worn teeth, so get a new one at an auto parts store for maybe $25 US. A 20 minute job to replace.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Take your link to

and you can have it shrunk to a reasonable size.

Reply to
Jim Warman

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >>

David Cole

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
I had identical symptoms on a 2000 wagon. I bought a replacement mast on eBay for ~ $17 including 3 day shipping. In my case a piece of the nylon gear strip had broken and that is why the mast would not retract. You can confirm if that is your problem by comparing the length of the new one to the old one. If so then you will need to remove the motor (a few bolts) and open one side of the spool casing and remove the broken piece first.

You remove the antenna by unscrewing the top ring that has the two notches. It's and easy DIY job, even with having to remove the motor.

Reply to
Greg