~1997 mercury sable wagon "Power Antenna" Wont Go

I have a 1997 Mercury Sable Wagon. My power antenna wont go down. I can hear the motor trying to work. But it wont go down. I brought it my mechanic and he told me that it would cost me $300 to fix it....or
$150 for a manual antenna. Now, I dont plan on paying that much for an antenna when my radio works since it is stuck in th up position. Maybe someone knows how i can fix it myself. I would assume that the motor is not seized since i can hear it humming and trying to work. Maybe there is something else that needs replacing. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks
yellowtreats wrote:

Probably the nylon drive gear strip has worn teeth, so get a new one at an auto parts store for maybe $25 US. A 20 minute job to replace.
Agreed, there is usually a nylon hard plastic strip with teeth on it that can break, chances are this is what has happened and its an aftermarket part I believe.

Take your link to www.tinyurl.com and you can have it shrunk to a reasonable size.

I had identical symptoms on a 2000 wagon. I bought a replacement mast on eBay for ~ $17 including 3 day shipping. In my case a piece of the nylon gear strip had broken and that is why the mast would not retract. You can confirm if that is your problem by comparing the length of the new one to the old one. If so then you will need to remove the motor (a few bolts) and open one side of the spool casing and remove the broken piece first.
You remove the antenna by unscrewing the top ring that has the two notches. It's and easy DIY job, even with having to remove the motor.