1997 Taurus rear brake noise

Didja ever notice that work performed gratis for family is always the the most frustrating. I did the rear drum brakes on the sister in laws 97 Taurus. Not rocket science, although I was surprised to see drums instead of disc like my 98. New linings, drums, wheel cylinders, and spring kits. Finding the parts was the biggest hassle. NAPA didn't stock any of the parts, one place had shoes but no drums, etc. The first set of linings didn't even make it to the car the quality was so bad. Had to settle for cheap linings from Advance Auto Parts, drums from Auto Zone, springs and cylinders from Car Quest. Finally got it buttoned up and the brakes were fine........for a while. The next day they started making a ticking noise when applied.(Right side) It slowed with the vehicle occuring once per revolution. Almost like the lining was walking away from the backing plate then snapping back. Couldn't feel anything in the pedal. Inspection showed nothing unusual. Swapped the drums side to side, now the noise was coming from both sides. Hmmmm, maybe one of the drums has runout. Exchanged both drums and the noise went away....for a day. Reinspection found the lining material a little loose on the rivets. Exchanged linings and had the parts store make a light cut on the drums to renew the surface. Brakes were great.....till the next day. The damn ticka, ticka, ticka is back. Visually I can see absolutely nothing wrong. The wear pattern on the drums is what you would expect, as is the pattern on the linings. The return and hold down springs are properly installed and are the correct parts. The hubs are running true, no play or runout. No signs of overheating. Everything looks and feels perfect. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Got those plastic wheelcovers ?? try driving without them

Reply to
johanb

Tried it, no help. The noise is a loud tick, actually closer to a clack. I'm pretty sure the shoes are pulling away from the backing plate and snapping back, I just don't know why. I can duplicate the noise by pulling out on the brake shoe and letting go.

I spoke to my brother and told him to just order premium shoes and a set of drums from NAPA. He can deal with the dimestore parts as he sees fit.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

No doubt cheap parts are the problem.... it never fails... try to save someone a buck and you may as well bend over and grab your ankles. When all is said and done you've worked countless hours for nothing and still have a pissed off relative or customer. Been there done that to many times..... Bob

Reply to
Bob

I hear that. Actually, the cheap parts weren't by choice. The old brakes were wasted. Nobody had the parts in stock, It took 4 hours to find what we got at 4 different stores. Ya think they'll be pissed enough to take the car somewhere else next time? I can only hope ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

"Tom Adkins" wrote

Brake lathe makes a spiral cut on the inner surface, like threads inside a nut. Shoes are being "unscrewed" from the backing plate. Maybe have them recut on super-slow speed so the surface is smoother?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"MasterBlaster" > sure the shoes are pulling away from the backing plate and snapping back,

Every brake lathe I've used cuts from the inside out, so it would screw the shoes in toward the backing plate. Could still make a noise though. Are there any wear marks on the backing plate where the shoes rub on it? If so grind them down to smooth them out a bit. Are you positive you installed the shoes/spings correctly? Did you adjust them up good? Are the front and rear shoes the same so they can be installed either way? If so, put the shoe with the longest friction material on the rear. Good luck.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

That would only be true on one side of the car, on the other side the drum would screw the shoes out away from the backing plate. I have my doubts that this is the problem but it is a possibility. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ah yes, good point, I think you are right that its not likely the cause of the noise....but could be. I would think if it was, a short stop and go driving would smooth them out enough to stop that kind of problem but stranger things have happened.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman