1997 thunderbird,shift interlock,signals,hazard lights trouble

When the car was purchased, coolant was low and low coolant light was on. The car was very difficult to get out of park. Hazard lights did not work.

The car was put into the shop and the coolant was filled up, but the low coolant light didn't go off for a couple of days, then it finally did. Shop was unable to fix the problem with the hazard lights and the shift interlock still doesn't work a lot of the time.

I didn't try O.D. button on the gear shift when I road tested it, but I suspect that it too did not work, as I have tried it since, after my son asked what that button was supposed to do because he said that he couldn't see that it did anything.

-The car is still nearly impossible to get out of park from time to time as the brake interlock will not let the button on the gear shift push in, so you have to wait until the brake interlock decides to start working again.

-The right hand rear brake light will not come on unless the left hand turn signal is on.

This morning, (Monday, Oct.13) there were no turn signals working and the cruise control was dead, and as usual the car was near impossible to get out of park. I checked turn signal fuse and it was o.k. While filling the car with gas, the hazard lights came on (I guess when I was checking to see what was working I had left the hazard switch on). After this happened the turn signals started working, and the cruise control came back to life, but still no O.D. selector button.

Hazard lights stopped working again, after they came on and were turned off and on again.This car is going back to the dealership where it was purchased, to try to have it fixed, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what it took to repair it.

Thanks Brent

Reply to
Brent Prosser

My coolant light has come on since the car was new. Only needs to be a tad low. Never been a problem for me once I got used to it.

snip

Not sure if my problem was the same but sometimes dust will settle in and around the switch causing it to stick. I took my car to a shop and the guy kept pushing the button up and down trying to loosen it up. Told me to bring it back later and he'd fix it for 200.00. By watching him I knew what the problem was. I went to Radio Shack and bought some cleaner/lubricant, sprayed it, and presto....problem solved.

Never had the "park" problem.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Brent Prosser

Diagnosis? Tell your doctor you have a head ache over the phone, what happens? Do you get a "diagnosis" based on a phone call, or by tests? What are you assuming that the people in this NG are clairvoyant or have ESP? Ass-hole? Who is the one who spent money on a vehicle that has KNOWN safety problems BEFORE the purchase? Problems that are DOT no-no's, meaning SAFETY failures that YOU can be found liable for. Safety problems that if the car went through a safety inspection in most states would FAIL? Look in the mirror, ...... should I spell it out?

Reply to
Thomas Moats