1998 Contour with strange gas smell at times...

Good Evening,
I have a 1998 contour that kicks out a gasoline smell into the vehicle on occasion. It seems to occur when the car has been sitting for a while.
It's not too strong, but very noticable at times, to the point that I hesitate driving it for long periods of time...
Anyone having similar issues?
It started doing this when we moved from Okalhoma to Florida... could higher heat / humidity cause issues with the charcoal filter, making it not work properly? \
How would fuel vapors make it to the inside of the vehicle?
Could the vapors flow out of the truck space via the vents near the back window?
mmmmm