1998 Escort Battery Ground clamp broken

The battery ground clamp on my Escort has corroded and split. Is there any problem with replacing the clamp end? There is a terminal block attached to the battery clamp that I can bolt to the new clamp.

The Ford CD Service manual states that the battery cables are integral to the engine wiring and can not be independently replaced. This seems unrealistic to me.

Thanks,

Dlc

Reply to
DLC

I've already replaced the end of the cable on my 95 Escort with a standard terminal from NAPA and bolted the block to the side of it. It hasn't given me any trouble. Ground is ground whether made by Ford or by NAPA. Fact is, the NAPA terminal I used is more stout than the original Ford terminal.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Have you had any problem with ignition noise on your 95 Escort radio when listening to AM stations? How about a whining sound when you press the accelerator pedal, which goes away when you let up on the pedal? I think this may be related to the computer control system for the fuel injectors.

Reply to
Fordfan

Ahhh, yes.... the "fixes" that have all too often come back to bite me in the ass.....

Electrical connections on any computerized device are paramount.... I wobt discourage a DIYer from using some of these bandaids.... just don't be sureprised if there is an inexplicable running concern at a later date...

Reply to
Jim Warman