1998 f-150 4x4

4 wheel drive won't disengage? Could it be a short in the switch? The truck is 4 wheel drive shift on the fly

if its not your primary vehicle.. i suggest trying to go to 4wd low.. drive it back and forth a few times then try to disengauge.. try to disengauge in all gears including neutral (if its automatic)
also try backing up while trying to disengauge...
Good luck,
Ken

I have the same problem with my 2000 F250 4X4 there is a plate with some kind of spring on it that compresses down when your 4 wheel drive is engaged. this plate is not disengaging on all sides when you turn the 4 wheel drive off so then your hub is not unlocking all the way. I took mine to the shop to have fixed and my mechanic explained it to me and I am just trying to explain it to you in a nut shell. The part to fix it is $128.00 a side at the stealership but you should find out what side is sticking first. mine is the driver side so I need to replace that one but I think I am just going to do both of them at the same time. my mechanic showed me how to reach behind the wheel and shake a bar to release it but I have not put mine in 4 wheel drive since I discoverd what was causing the problem. so I havent had to mess with it. I believe Ford is aware of the problem but they will not fix it or even give you a break on the parts. I have tried repeatedly with them. if anyone else has any luck please let me know
IceMan