1998 ford contour 2.5 V-6 puked!

Hi I cosigned on a 98 ford contour- car has about 115K on it - recently quit running - first ran rough, then would not start-driver said he noticed oil on ground, though I am not sure it came from this car. Now it
seems as if its taking 800 amps to crank! Could this be just timing belt?(is this an interference engine?) - or is there history of larger engine failures on this car? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanx, ignatz