1998 Ford Contour Svt

Help!!!!! Everytime I slow down to about 10 mph or come to a complete stop my car cuts off.. it starts right back up but it doesnt idle like it should .... i am new to this and not a mechanic but i dont want to sound
totally dumb when i take it to get looked at....

Dont suppose you looked around here to see if anyone else had that problem.. oops.. sorry, TAB - where everyone is unique!
Clean or replace the Idle speed control assy.
Replace the Throttle Position Sensor.
Go to Autozone.com to look up the references and locations and get some how-to's
Not you fault, emanni... but we are REALLY starting to F#$53g HATE that site! And BTW, Emanni... they DONT protect your email address AT ALL! I'm looking at your full address as I answer this
also, you may want to check for vacuum leaks. I found out that my contour 4 banger didn't have the exhaust gas recirculator line, but the intake manifold still had the mount for the line, albeit capped. the cap rotted off and i had all kinds of idle probs. Instead of going to the dealer to get the "expensive" part, I took one of my old spark plug wires and pulled the rubber arc cover off one end. I then took an old tag light bulb that was fried and jammed it in one hole, placing the other hole firmly onto the unused EGR vac outlet. no probs anymore, at least with that. now, if I can just get the fuel pump replaced without having to drop the tank.....
Good luck. Haynes manual says it will be the throttle pos sensor or a vac line. maybe even a bad seal around the throttle body and the resonating chamber. laters