1998 Ford Escort LX

My A/C is blowing out hot air. I bought R134A and tried adding it. None went in and the unit continues to blow hot air. It's blowing in outside air. I can tell this from what the outside temperature is. On hot days, the air is hot and cooler days the air is cooler, but NOT A/C AIR is coming out. Big question, how expensive is it to repair or replace a/c unit? I live in New Jersey and my local dealer's, labor rate is $89.00 per hour, plus parts. The car is mint and has only 65,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it. How much am I looking at?

Thank You Guys, Ray

Reply to
Ray

How do you expect anyone to tell you what it will cost to fix, if we don't know what the problem is? Could be something as simple as a blown fuse or as messy as a leaking evaporator... Why don't you go to a reputable A/C shop and get it diagnosed? They will probably deduct the cost from any repairs, if you later decide to do them over there. And by the way, although auto stores peddle R134a, it makes no sense to add charge to a system unless you know how and why you are doing this. Could be dangerous too.

Reply to
Happy Traveler