1998 ford ranger brake problems

I have a 98 ranger 4x4 and at low speeds the rear brakes seem to grab. The wheels will actualy lock up while the front are still turning. At all times it seems like the rear brakes are comming on too soon. I
don't often carry heavy loads in it so I haven't noticed a difference when I get a big load in it or not. The problem does seem to ease up a little once the brakes have heated up a little. Is there a load sensor that is off?
Ed wrote:

This was an issue when these trucks were new. Ford changed the rear lining compound to "fix" it. A good quality set of shoes should have the correct compound.
At the same time... check to be sure there isn't a rear axle seal leak...