1998 Ford Taurus SE

I'm leaking power steering fluid and it's making a whining grinding noise. The leak is coming from behind the drivers side tire. I just replaced the pump so I need to know if I should replace the pressure hose or what. I need answers quick. This is my only car and I need it back on the road.

Reply to
ErinG

... so you put the car up on jackstands or ramps and used a flashlight to inspect the steering gear, and the leak was coming from... where?

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Power steering leaking from under the drivers side tire, It sounded fine this morning,and it didn't make any noise but I lost all power steering...very hard to steer!!!.I'm a single mom who is new at this car repair stuff but so far so good!!!Any advice?

Reply to
ErinG

You need to look at the steering gear itself and determine if it is leaking from a hose attach point, from a broken hose, or from a seal. This can probably be done from underneath the car. It might be easier if you remove the wheel and the wheel well liner.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

The power steering rack seal(s) failed.

Replaced the rack assembly w/ a warranteed remanufactured unit:

Plan on $250 minimum and probably $400 to $500 installed in most areas.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1