1998 ford windstar oil in air intake

Hi,
I just bought a used Windstar and went to change the air filter before I went for my emissions test. To my surprise, I found motor oil in the air box. I checked the oil dipstick just for the hell of it and
noticed that there was around an extra quart of oil in the engine. I also notice an oil burning smell from time to time and after lots of city driving the idle seams to rev up and down. I was wondering if anyone new what might cause the oil to be in the air box and if that has anything to do with the burning smell and idle issue. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust and the vehicle passed the emissions test with flying colours.
Thanks,
Carl
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Start by looking at the PCV valve. They only cost a couple of bucks and they're very easy to replace, it's worth picking one up next time you go buy windshield washer fluid or whatever, and just replace it pre-emptively.
Also check for vacuum leaks.

Never thought of the PCV valve but it makes a lot of sense thanks for the reply. Sorry, I was just wondering how do you check for vacuum leaks?
Thanks
Carl

Never thought of the PCV valve but it makes a lot of sense thanks for the reply. Sorry, I was just wondering how do you check for vacuum leaks?
Thanks
Carl
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Humm. look for the jiffy boob sticker on the door jam........ ;)
-
Carl, I'm sorry that I'm not going to be much help with your concerns.... but I hope that the advice I offer will help you in future purchases....
You have just bought a used vehicle.. apparently without the assistance of professional help... and you didn't even check the oil before handing over the money?
When purchasing a used vehicle it is wise to involve a third party... someone impartial and with a good knowledge. All too often I have seen somone spending $100 or even more to have a vehicle inspected resulting in massive savings when the car of their dreams turns out to be a tank...