1998 ford ZX2 escort-sport

I have been searching for a suggestion on what could be wrong with my 1998 ford ZX2 Escort-sport
I was driving down the road and out of no where my dashboard lights
went dim and so did my headlights. then my RPM gage dropped to zero but the car was still running and stayed running for another 5 min or so, then it died and now I cant get it started.
If you have any suggestions- please anything will help!
Thanks

Get a good charge on the battery and then load test the battery. If the battery charges and checks out OK, put a volt meter across the battery with the car running. You should be reading about 14 volts Sometimes it's just the brushes, and on my 94 escort you can replace them with the alternator still in the car. Disconnect the negative battery post 1st though. Not sure if the alternator is the same on your car or not?? Tony