1998 Ka Stupid Q: How to tell Air Conditioning working in cold weather.....?

Hi,

I have a stupid question...

I have a UK 1998 Ford Ka3.

I recently discovered that the lower radiator cover was badly damaged and partially hanging down from the car. (this is now taped up pending a replacement cover)

The bottom of the front radiator (which I think is the air-con condenser) has sustained some slight damage. I'm concerned that the air con might have been damaged.

When I press the air-con button inside the car the air-con light comes on, but I don't notice any change in the pitch of the engine and it's difficult to tell if the air output gets colder as it is so cold here in the UK at the moment. Does the light coming on (on the switch) indicate successful operation of the air-con?

I read in the manual that the air-con doesn't work below 4deg C. Does that mean if the surrounding air temp is say 7deg C the air con would work so slightly that it wouldn't pull on the engine enough to make a noticeable change in pitch?

Is there a objective way to verify that the air con is functioning correctly?

Sorry it's so long a post.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Spike

Reply to
Spike

The compressor clutch is either on or off. Locate compressor, see if end-piece (clutch) is turning when A/C selected and ambient at 8 deg, C, or above.

Locate accumulator (assuming Euro products have switched from Expansion Valve sys by now), should be a switch & wire harness on it. If two- contact in plug, jump them.. clutch should engage if temp is high enough and PCM doesnt see wide open throttle.

If clutch isnt engaging, a pressure test of system (only test LOW side) is meaningless.. unless it's zero pressure. In which case, you've lost all refrigerant.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for replying - I have finally had a chance to get under the ka.

Can I ask how you tell if the clutch on the compressor is engaged? I couldn't see anything moving except the drive belt. I was on my own though, so couldn't watch it as the button got pressed.

Thanks Spike

Reply to
Spike