1998 Tarus SE Heater problem

Hello, All! The Heater no longer produces very hot air, only slightly warm. When the dash switch is set to a heater position the AC compressor runs. Should it
run on heat? I think it is supposed to run on defrost, but heat? I have flushed the cooling system, but I suspect the problem is electrical. This first became apparent after the Rack and Pinion unit was replaced. Is there any electrical connection that could have been disturbed when that work was done? I can;'t see anything that looks wrong around the rack.
Thanks for any thoughts. Paul
I had a 98 SE also but I don't remember the compressor running on the Heat setting. From my experience with Ford products, they tend to have electrical problems requently. Electrical and electronics seems to be Ford's "Achilles heel". Other than that, my 98 Taurus SE was a very nice car. Dan

electrical.