1998 Taurus audio

I just purchased a 1998 Taurus that was a repossessed car. The radio has AM/FM Cassette. What puzzles me is that it has all the buttons for the CD player as well, but no place to insert a CD. The documentation that came
with it is unclear as it seems to present a sound system that has radio, cassette and CD player. There is an illustration of some sort of CD cartridge, but it doesn't show how it goes with the radio. Can anyone clarify this mystery to me?
The CD changer may be in the trunk...or you may only have the controls since the chager was an option even with the radio that has the controls.
Ed
Andy-j wrote:

Thanks for the info, Ed. I've looked high and low for a changer. I'll ask the local Ford parts dept. if I can get one ordered.

has
CD
came
Ford will charge you too much. Try Ebay or one of the following:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/OEM_Factory_page_1_c_16.html http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=GS-6-Harness-Special Google search
I bought one for my 1997 Expedition off of Ebay and purchased the needed interface cable from Radios and More.
Regards,
Ed White
Andy-j wrote:

Many, many thanks! This is very helpful. I had not heard of this technology and when I was told to look in the trunk, I didn't know what I was looking for. Now I do.

radio
the
radio,
anyone
you wanna hear somthing interesting about the new Taurus? The ENTIRE radio is actually in the trunk, just a bunch of buttons on the dash with a clock, one of the ford techs pointed this out too me.

the
radio,
Re: 1998 Taurus audio Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Jul 20, 2004, 8:56pm (EDT+4) From: bigd_in snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (abomb6900)
you wanna hear somthing interesting about the new Taurus? The ENTIRE radio is actually in the trunk, just a bunch of buttons on the dash with a clock, one of the ford techs pointed this out too me.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
That's not new. My '99 Taurus had the same set up.
Eric
Nothing new about it, its been that way for years on some Ford vehicles
mike hunt
abomb6900 wrote: