1998 Taurus Sedan

Hello. I'm being offered a '98 Taurus with the V6 Duratec(sp?) engine. 78k, one owner, lady driven. Body and interior are very clean. In doing some cursory internet research, I'm seeing transmission, among
other, troubles. Does anyone have an opinion about this model? $5k. I'm also interested in a Buick LaSabre or Park Avenue.
--
Jeff Wald
" I can handle things, I'm smart - not like everybody says - not dumb,
jeff wald wrote:

www.kbb.com www.nada.com www.edmunds.com
The Taurus is overpriced, & is a mid-size car.
The Buicks are full-size.
Rob
I have seen fleets run thousands of Taurus' up to 300K and more when given the proper preventive maintenance.
mike

FWIW: I've got a '99 with 90k on it and it still runs like a scalded cat. The 24v Duratec engine is a great power plant. Other than normal mantenence it's been trouble free for me. $5k is a bit high for a '98, $3.5 to $4k is more likely. It will probably need new plugs and wires soon.
Eric
I have a 98 Taurus Duratec 24V. Has 267,000 miles on it and still going. I have had no problems with it at all. I have kept up the maintenence and replaced plugs, belts, oils, etc. when they are supposed to. The Duratec is supposed to be a more reliable engine than the standard one which was on most Taurus. If it's been well maintained my experience has been very positive with it