1998 Taurus Transmission Leak

The oil cooler lines are leaking at the fittings going to the transmission. I have read that special tools are required to remove and replace the special fittings. Are the fittings unique in some way? Is a special tool required? I don't want to start tearing into it until I know what the fittings are and how they are attached. (And what is available to replace them.)

Reply to
William Glenn

The fittings have internal o-rings that leak after a period of time (the originals on my 84 Mark VII don't leak, the ones on my 98 Taurus leaked at 4 years). They require a "Transmission Line Quick Connect Tool" available at most parts stores. If yours are leaking, they need to be replaced (the entire connector). IIRC, about $10 each at the dealer.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom Adkins wrote in news:B5udnax47qPinwTenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thank you