1998 WIndstar Door Ajar & Dome Light Problem

While driving my 1998 Ford Windstar last night the Door Ajar alarm and Dome Lights came on. When I arrived home the dome lights remained on after shutting off the vehicle. All doors were closed. I opened and closed all doors several times, lightly sanded the contacts on the sliding door then applied WD-40 to the contacts but the problem continued. After about 10 minutes or so of fidgeting with the doors and waiting, the interior dome lights were still on. I restarted the car and shut it off again and still have the same problem. I pulled the interior light fuse, so not to drain the battery, but I have NO idea what will actually solve the problem so it will not re-occur. I hope anyone with a more definitive solution will post a message or email me.

Reply to
Bruzman

I have a 98 Windstar. When I had the problem it was the rear door (tail gate) switch. There are 2 switches, one in each latch mechanism. I sprayed contact cleaner in each to clean them. Then lubed them with a light oil like Triflow. I wouldn't recommend WD-40. Also my Windstar will automatically turn the power off to the interior lights in a 1/2 hour. It has a battery saver feature. Pat

Reply to
PATRICK T. DAVIDSON