1998 WIndstar Door Ajar & Dome Light Problem - Help!

While driving my 1998 Ford Windstar last night the Door Ajar alarm and Dome Lights came on. When I arrived home the dome lights remained on after shutting off the vehicle. All doors were closed. I opened and closed all doors several times, lightly sanded the contacts on the sliding door then applied WD-40 to the contacts but the problem continued. After about 10 minutes or so of fidgeting with the doors and waiting, the interior dome lights were still on. I restarted the car and shut it off again and still have the same problem. I pulled the interior light fuse, so not to drain the battery, but I have NO idea what will actually solve the problem so it will not re-occur. After respraying the sliding door contacts and rear hatch switches with more wd-40 the lights went out. If this is a swiths problem how do i determine which one is faulty? I hope anyone with a more definitive solution will post a message or email me.

Reply to
Bruzman

this is a years old story. the best solution, for cheap, so far is to spray all the door switches (they're hidden in the door latch hole) and slam them a bunch of times. if you're able to isolate the bad switch, you could get it changed. but the problem will probably return because this is a known ford problem. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

A much better solution is to use an electronics parts cleaner..(I used CRC QD{quick drying} Electronics Parts Cleaner to be specific...) It worked instantly, on the first application. I have found this to be a much better fix than WD-40 for this type of application. Dirt and moisture is the enemy in these Ford door switches..

Reply to
V. B. Mercon