1998 Windstar with DTC P1537 and P1538

My 1998 Windstar with the 3.8 V6 had 2 DTC's, P1537 and P1538. The codes are for Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) stuck open Bank 1 and Bank 2. I did find quite a bit of info by googling it on the web. Mostly it looks like the fix is just replacing the IMRC. They are a little pricey at $200.00 to $300.00 a piece. Does anybody have any experience with this problem? What goes bad with the IMRC? Pat

Reply to
Pat

|My 1998 Windstar with the 3.8 V6 had 2 DTC's, P1537 and P1538. The codes are |for Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) stuck open Bank 1 and Bank 2. I |did find quite a bit of info by googling it on the web. Mostly it looks like |the fix is just replacing the IMRC. They are a little pricey at $200.00 to |$300.00 a piece. Does anybody have any experience with this problem? What |goes bad with the IMRC? Pat |

I don't know about your particular situation, but when I find that some valve is stuck open or closed, I figure out a way to unstick it. Cost = zero e.g. EGR valve. simple. put 1/4 inch tubing on it and suck and blow until the valve is free to move under -3mmHg. Worst case scenario, take it off, and clean it with carb cleaner. Being sure diaphragm isn't perforated ( holds vacuum ).

Stuck? You want to pay $300 to unstick something? You have deep pockets. Figure out a way to unstick it yourself, using compressed air, taking it apart, whatever.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Well one of IMRC vacuum motors has a leak in it. Probably a bad diaphragm. Looks like I'll have to replace it. Pat

Reply to
Pat

I just curious where is the IMRC ? Thanks

Reply to
ucm

There are 2 of them. Both mounted to the lower half of the intake manifold on the front (passenger side) of the motor. One for each cylinder bank. They are basically a vacuum actuator with 3 wire "monitor" feedback. Also included as part of the control is a solenoid valve that is mounted on the right side of the motor. It basically turns the vacuum off and on to the actuators. It's controlled by the PCM. Pat

Reply to
Pat

Hi Pat - I'm having the same problem P1537 (used the scanner from

and will have to fix mine too. I have the Haynes book for the windstar - Mine's a '96 3.8L. Any "gotcha's" in getting to the IMRCS - Looks like I have to take out a whole buncha stuff to get to it. Did you end up fixing or replacing?

TIA

Tom

Reply to
surftom

Tom The one that was bad on my van was the left one (closest to the radiator). It wasn't too hard to remove. I did have to remove the alternator to get easy access to the bolts. Also I had to be careful and not break the plastic clip that hold the linkage. The Ford dealers I called wanted anywhere from $220.00 to 240.00 for a replacement. I took the old one apart and silicone the diaphragm . It working at the moment.

P1537 is for bank 1, right side or furthest from the radiator. It look like that one may be a little easier to get to. Pat

Reply to
Pat