1999 Ford Escort noise

1999 Ford Escort w/automatic transmission is making a "growling" noise (not grinding) when driven. It becomes noticeable at about 30 mph and gets louder
as the speed increases. I've put the car on stands and ran it in gear trying to track down the noise and I suspect it's related to the drivetrain but I've check the wheel bearings & CV joints and they don't appear to be the problem, it seems to be more towards the transaxle but I can't pinpoint it. Any suggestions? Anyone know of similar problems?
1999 Ford Escort w/automatic transmission is making a "growling" noise (not grinding) when driven. It becomes noticeable at about 30 mph and gets louder as the speed increases. I've put the car on stands and ran it in gear trying to track down the noise and I suspect it's related to the drivetrain but I've check the wheel bearings & CV joints and they don't appear to be the problem, it seems to be more towards the transaxle but I can't pinpoint it. Any suggestions? Anyone know of similar problems?

Bad brake rotor(s) maybe?
Once I have seen an escort rolling down the freeway with one of it's rear wheels loose. Stupid driver forgot to tighten the lug nuts after replacing a flat tire maybe. Strange as it is, check the lug nuts...
How many miles are on this car?
I doubt it's loose heat shields on the catalytic converter, but check them anyway.

(not
louder
trying
it.
Hmmmm...similar to what mine is doing.
Already had a mechanic check things over and he had no idea what was going on (didn't find anything obvious)