1999 Ford Galaxy key

I'm being quoted 150 for a spare key from Ford, I'm told they are the only people who can program the key.
Is this really true? I only have 1 copied key.
Thanks
I have the 2001 version Ford Galaxy and was charged 230 for two new keys. Including 120 +vat for labour! For tapping a few codes in. Absolutely shocking.
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER GO TO DEES OF WIMBLEDON THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS.
ib wrote:

Perhaps the lesson is, don't buy a ford!
Best quote so far from Hine Motors, Salisbury, 66, not too bad, but would still like to know how to program the key (it isn't a remote key) if it can be done
I have the 2001 version Ford Galaxy and was charged 230 for two new keys. Including 120 +vat for labour! For tapping a few codes in. Absolutely shocking.
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER GO TO DEES OF WIMBLEDON THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS.
ib wrote:

ib wrote:

You can't if you only have 1 "good" key. The key has a transponder in it and if there is only 1 "good" key, the Ford scanner (NGS, WDS, etc) has to be used to introduce a new key. The whole routine takes about an hour, thus the labor cost. If you have 2 "good" keys, the process is very simple and can be done in about 1 minute. (it's in the owners manual). The reason for all of this is to make it difficult for car thieves to get the key code from the dealer, cut a new key, and drive off with your car. If it was easy for you, it would be easier for a car thief. The lesson here is to keep 3 "good" keys on hand.

OK, so I'll get the 66 second key, so when I have 2, how do I program a 3rd?
Thanks
ib wrote:

key (#3) you:
1.Insert key #1 into the ignition and turn it to the run position then back to OFF. 2.Insert key #2 into the ignition and turn it to the run position then back to OFF. 3.Insert Key #3 into the ignition and turn it to the run position. After about 5 seconds, turn it back to off. The 3rd key should now be programmed to the car. Start the car with either key #1 or #2 to verify that they work. Then start the car with key #3 to check it. I've seen cases where the newest key won't start the car until one of the original keys is used first. Don't know why.

Thanks, I'll give that a try