1999 Ford Galaxy key

You can't if you only have 1 "good" key. The key has a transponder in it and if there is only 1 "good" key, the Ford scanner (NGS, WDS, etc) has to be used to introduce a new key. The whole routine takes about an hour, thus the labor cost. If you have 2 "good" keys, the process is very simple and can be done in about 1 minute. (it's in the owners manual). The reason for all of this is to make it difficult for car thieves to get the key code from the dealer, cut a new key, and drive off with your car. If it was easy for you, it would be easier for a car thief. The lesson here is to keep 3 "good" keys on hand.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I'm being quoted £150 for a spare key from Ford, I'm told they are the only people who can program the key.

Is this really true? I only have 1 copied key.

Thanks

Reply to
ib

I have the 2001 version Ford Galaxy and was charged =A3230 for two new keys. Including =A3120 +vat for labour! For tapping a few codes in. Absolutely shocking.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER GO TO DEES OF WIMBLED> I'm being quoted =A3150 for a spare key from Ford, I'm told they are the = only

Reply to
kellyda

Perhaps the lesson is, don't buy a ford!

Best quote so far from Hine Motors, Salisbury, £66, not too bad, but would still like to know how to program the key (it isn't a remote key) if it can be done

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER GO TO DEES OF WIMBLED> I'm being quoted £150 for a spare key from Ford, I'm told they are the > only

Reply to
ib

When you have 2 good keys (we'll call them #1 and #2) and a third unprogrammed key (#3) you:

1.Insert key #1 into the ignition and turn it to the run position then back to OFF. 2.Insert key #2 into the ignition and turn it to the run position then back to OFF. 3.Insert Key #3 into the ignition and turn it to the run position. After about 5 seconds, turn it back to off. The 3rd key should now be programmed to the car. Start the car with either key #1 or #2 to verify that they work. Then start the car with key #3 to check it. I've seen cases where the newest key won't start the car until one of the original keys is used first. Don't know why.
Reply to
Tom Adkins

OK, so I'll get the £66 second key, so when I have 2, how do I program a

3rd?

Thanks

Reply to
ib