1999 Mercury Cougar trunk release/noise problem

When I push the trunk release button or use the remote, the trunk latch makes a fairly loud noise. It's a difficult noise to discribe but it buzzes and something mechanical quickly cycles 3-4 times. It then will
then open but on several occasions the hatch would not latch when closing unless the release was cycled again. When opening using the key it functions normally. Thanks.
the motor that opens the trunk is bad

or mis-aligned, probably bad
you pay..DEAL with it!