1999 Mondeo - Thud!

Hi,
I have just been converted to Ford having driven VW's for years.
Quick question - my Mondeo lets out a "Thud" when I release the clutch
pedal - the faster I let it up the louder the thud is - what is causing this? Do I need a new clutch?
Also when I depress the clutch pedal when the engine revving there is a "whirring" noise until I engage the next gear. What is this?
Otherwise the car is excellent for having 110,000 miles on the odometer.
All help appreciated.
Scott Bingham
@dsl.pipex.com says...

Ask on the forums at www.contour.org. This covers the Mondeo, along with the US versions, the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique/Mercury Cougar.
Check your motor mounts.
londonbeat wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:48:58 +0100, londonbeat wrote:

1. thud = worn universal joint (I'm real familiar with that one)
2. whirring = clutch throw out bearing (never had that problem on my Ranger tho')
Mike