1999 Tarus alt light problem

:confused: Hi: I have a 1999 Tarus 3.0 L, that has an problem with the alt light comming on only on hard acceleration. I have replaced the surpentine
belt, thinking that it might be slipping, but this did not help. Driving normally and accelerating slowly, it does not come on. May not be related, but, once and awhile the windshield wipers will start by themselves! I have about 112,000 on the car. Could this be a voltage regulator problem? Worn bearings? Need to replace altinator or battery? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Want to get this fixed before it leaves me stranded! Thanks denkath
--
denkath
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:22:31 -0500, denkath

Your brushes are most likely worn out, for starters.
denkath wrote: 1999 Tarus 3.0 L,
The alt light comes on only on hard acceleration. ________________________________________________
Could be worn alternator brushes. You can buy brushes at auto parts stores about $15-$25, open the alternator and replace them. While the alternator is open,clean any corrosion or contamination on the slip-rings using fine emery/sandpaper & alcohol.
Sometimes dirty slip-rings can be cleaned without opening the alternator by sticking a pencil eraser into the back to clean the brush tracks while turning the pulley by hand.
Good Luck.
Wendy & John Wrote: > denkath wrote: 1999 Tarus 3.0 L,

denkath
--
denkath