1999 Taurus - Couple of questions

I just bought my mothers 1999 Taurus.
It's in real good shape other than the cruise control isn't working properly. I can be going 70 MPH down the highway and turn the cruise control
on, then push "set". When I do this, the green (?) "cruise control" light in the gauge cluster will come on for maybe a second, then go off. The cruise won't work. Any idea's?
One more question. It has an AM/FM/Cass, but it also has a "CD" button and other CD type controls. The owners manual says that the CD changer would be located either in the "right cargo area" or in the trunk. First off, where is the "right cargo area" and if the changer is in the trunk, wouldn't it be in plain sight? It wouldn't be hidden under anything would it? I can't find it anywhere! :)
Any suggestions on where I might be able to buy the CD changer assembly if it's not equipped with one already? I am just looking for an OEM type changer.
Thanks in advance....
Chuck
C. Massey wrote:

BOO switch might be cycling (brake lights flashing) while driving, or improper or burnt-out bulb(s) in brake lights.

Right cargo area is for the wagon. There is an access door there.

www.eBay.com
Rob

Not trying to question your opinion/advice, but would something in the light circut cause a conflict? I will check it out though...

Ahhhh..... didn't think about that!

I got to looking at Best Buy and Circuit City. They have in dash units with cd and MP3 compatible for a little over $100. I may just go that route.
C. Massey wrote:

The cruise control is powered through the brake light circuit. When you tap on the brake pedal, the cruise cuts out.

The 99 Taurus does not have a radio in the dash. It is an integrated(w/ climate controls) control head for a trunk mounted radio. You can't just plug in an aftermarket $100.00 radio.
Rob
wrote

I know that the panel is odd looking. The website for Circuit City CLAIMS that they have units that will fit into this car. This is the info that I am going by. I am sure that you are right, but I want to talk with the installers and see what their definition of "it fits" is...
Having the CD button on the radio is no guarranty that there is a CD changer installed. Some late model offerings have satellite radio ready radios in them complete with the "SAT" button.
Punch the CD button and see what message pops up.
wrote

Oh... sorry... I already tried that. It says something like "No DJ". I am assuming that it is telling me there isn't one there...
Re: 1999 Taurus - Couple of questions Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, May 7, 2005, 12:29am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@host.invalid (C.Massey)
C. Massey wrote:
The 99 Taurus does not have a radio in the dash. It is an integrated(w/ climate controls) control head for a trunk mounted radio. You can't just plug in an aftermarket $100.00 radio.
I know that the panel is odd looking. The website for Circuit City CLAIMS that they have units that will fit into this car. This is the info that I am going by. I am sure that you are right, but I want to talk with the installers and see what their definition of "it fits" is...<<<<<<<<<<<<
From personal experience with a '99 Taurus aftermarket install I can tell you that almost every pro install shop can supply an aftermarket oval panel to replace the factory oval and yes it fits perfectly. The aftermarket oval has a standard cutout for radio/cd/etc units and mounting holes for the _manual_ climate control system.
Some after market radio/cd units will require cutting of the plastic inside the dash opening to fit. Sometimes the oval has to be mounted with the a/c controls on top and the radio cut out on the bottom.
Eric
Eric Toline wrote:

It's all true, you can't just plug in the $100.00 radio w/o the $70.00 adaptor and the labor to run the harness back to the amp & antenna. Scosch is the main supplier of such adaptors, they show up on eBay once in a while.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

taurus. It took about an hour to install. It's definitely an easy do it yourself job. If you get a trunk mounted changer, mount it off to the side. It you hang it in the center of the trunk opening where the factory unit goes, you will regret it every time you put something big in the trunk.
scott(remove_to_reply) wrote:

This is one route to go... but it will come out to a lot more than $100.00...
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/soundfc3.html
Rob

Thanks for everyone's help!! I will just take my time and play it by ear...
go on ebay and search for taurus cd player you should get around 20 or 30 hits at any given time