1999 Taurus - Driver Side Rear Window

Driver's side rear window will not go down. When I got the car used almost 2 years ago, it would "stick" sometimes. Now it will no longer go down. Is
this something easy I can fix myself at home (before I tear the door apart) or do I need to take it in ($$$) and have it repaired?
Thanks,
Chris
V wrote:

Better stuck up than stuck down.... Is the window getting power? Do the other windows operate? Will the inoperative window work if the door is open? Examine the wires that fun from the cabin to the door for obvious breaks.
Assuming the other windows work, there's nothing wrong with the fuse. If the window works with the door open but not closed, then it's the wiring running through the hinge. If none of the above works, then tear into the door. With any luck, it'll only be a plug that's come loose. With less luck, you'll have to replace the motor.
Have fun.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF
V wrote:

There's no point in checking the fuse. If any of the windows work, the fuse is OK.

That's what they make AC for....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF
snipped-for-privacy@rdrREMOVETHIS.com says...

Does it work from either the door or driver's panel? The driver's switch will need the lockout turned off for the door switch to work.
When you hit the switch, do you hear any noise at all? With some lights on, do they dim a bit when you hit the switch? If there is no drain or noise at all, it's probably a totally dead motor or broken wire. If you do get something, then it could just be bound up due to high friction or rust, or the motor could just be week.
All depends on you.

V wrote:

probably the window regulator(part cost about $120 at dealer)... get a haynes book for your car and it will show you how to do it..... pretty easy once you see how the thing is attached....
If you don't mind taking the door panel off, do that. Then while having someone operate the switch, try tapping the motor with a screwdriver handle or small hammer. Someimes something somehow got in a bind. This has worked for me before. On the other hand, someimes the gears break (not sure what the mechanism looks like though in a 99 taurus, but in my 83 grandmarquis there have been a small plastic gear broke, and had to replace the whole gerabox. Might check salvages though before trying to buy a brand new one, and see if you can get a working one that is reasonably priced.
Nic

almost
Is
apart)