1999 Taurus power steering problem...

Hello, I am having problems with my power steering. The steering wheel was hard to turn, so, I checked the power steering fluid and discovered it
to be quite low. That was about three days ago. It has needed more fluid each day except this morning. This morning the wheel was hard to turn and making a whining sound. I checked and there is plenty of fluid in the engine.
Can anyone give me an idea as to what to check next and is it expensive to fix?
Sincerely, Sandra
Sandra wrote:

Any leaks? If not, a seal is probably bad on the rack and the boots are filling w/ PS fluid... it happens fast - if the car sits, the reservoir fills back up sometimes. Replace the rack assembly. They can be resealed, but it is labor intensive and an A/M reman rack w/ lifetime warranty is usually cheaper & quicker.
Rob