1999 UK Explorer - tyre pressures

My newly acquired 1999 UK model explorer had no handbook with it. Can anyone help me out with the correct tyre pressure for my 255/70x16s (for both round town and cruising, if possible)

thanks db

Reply to
davidbyeuk

Same thing I just explained a few days ago - your local tire shop (or tyre shoppe for you Left-Pondians... ;-) should be able to look up the Load/Inflation Chart for that make, size, and load-rating of tire. Make sure he has the right chart, there are differences in tire construction even within the same tire maker's products.

Then you need to know the actual curb weight on each axle while it's loaded the way you will drive it - full of fuel, passengers and cargo, and for that you need a drive-over truck scale. (You don't need to pay for a weigh slip, you just need to know within 10KG or so.)

Connect the lines on the chart, and you have the optimal tire pressure for that axle.

And going up by 3 to 5 PSI (what, maybe .1 BAR?) is best if you drive mostly high-speed motorway or autobahn conditions, as long as you don't exceed the maximum pressure on the tire sidewall.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
Big Shoe

True, but that's not valid if the tire size is different. And might not be valid if they put higher performance "gumball" tires on...

The tire maker's data sheets are gospel.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman