1999 Windstar Coolant Burp?

On 2 occasions, my wife reported a massive cloud of steam coming from under the front of the fan, both time after a cold start-up and idle of approx 15 min to an hour. It appeared (I was unable to see this happen myself, and wife's description was less than helpful) that it may have "boiled over" and ejected the coolant through the reservoir, running down over the exhaust pipe.

What could cause this? One suggestion was a sticking thermostat, any other ideas or confirmations? I really can't afford a trip to the garage for trial and error, and I can change a thermostat myself.

Thank you all...

Reply to
The Dismantler

Sorry, that should be Van not fan.

Reply to
The Dismantler

if it overheats its a thermostat. It could also be a temperature sensor which provides a faulty reading, and the computer doesn't turn on the FAN.

I don't know about 3.8, but on 4.6 there are two temperature sensors, one is for gauge, and the other is for computer which controlls the FAN. They can be tested for a resistance.

Reply to
tomasz.kk

Why are you letting the van idle so long? It's really not good for the engine.

Reply to
Jeff

It's really not hurting it either..... but it is a big waste of fuel.

Reply to
Bob

Not my doing, Jeff, it's the wife. I will make no attempt to explain her actions, I just pick up the pieces.

Thanks again everyone, never considered the fan or sensors. Will try that next.

Reply to
The Dismantler

I have a little experience with Ford vans. More with wives (wife, only one, so far). My wife might report a wisp of vapor as a "massive cloud". No, not might, she would.

Just some things to think about...

Is she seing exhaust blowing under the car and out the front? Assuming the wind is from behind the car.

Could it be a damp engine heating up?

Is there coolant on the driveway?

Is the coolant level ok?

Somebody asked if it overheated. You might point out the gauge to her and have her watch it.

Better yet, drive the van for a week or two yourself and see what happens.

Let us know what (if anything) you find. I'm curious.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller

Hi Tom, both times this occurred my wife was at work, this would happen on the parking lot after a ridiculously long idle. I know the source of the steam was blowover from the reservoir that ran down over the exhaust pipe, I saw the evidence after the fact (coolant on inner fender where reservoir is). In the times since I have tried to recreate the scenario, but to no avail. I have yet to hear the fan start up just the same, which takes me back to an earlier reply. The cold season is here where we live (Alberta), so the fan may not be wanting to start much anyway. Next warm day me and my trusty DMM will check out the sensors and fan.

On another topic that may or may not be related, I have yet to have the rear heat actually blow heat, only cold air. It has been suggested to me the system is airlocked, which could cause a "boil over", so I am told. I have no idea how to clear the airlock.

And last but not least, is it normal for the AC clutch to engage and disengage randomly while sitting at idle, AC inside switched off?

Thanks....

The Dismantler

First, when you turn A/C on the cooling fan should come on which proves the electr. fan circuits are ok You could still have other problems causing the fan not to come without the A/C on but at least you \know the fan works

And yes, a/c cycles in defrost and defrost/floor mode to get humidity out of the air

Reply to
Ollie

Ahhh, OK, I suspected that, but wan't sure (AC to dry air). I knew other manufacturers did that too.

Thanks for the tip on the fan check, easy one.

This is a great group, thanks to everyone. It is good to see a NG where everyone is helping each other, not insulting everyone at random. Guess is says a lot for the mentality of the users here! I will attempt to contribute myself with what little I know when I can.

Thanks all.

Reply to
The Dismantler

Dismantler - Did you ever find out the problem with the boil over coolant? My wife's Windstar just did the same thing, but while idling at a stop light after driving 15 min. or so. Thanks for the help!!!

Reply to
wfd1753

Good preventative maintenance item, replace the tstat with an OEM version. I've had aftermarket tstats fail in a short time (couple of years whereas the OEMS go for more years).

On some (most?) Fords, the fan switch is a simple temperature actuated open/close switch that should close around 220 degrees F, located near the tstat. Signal then passes through the fan switch and probably energizes a relay coil that pulls the contacts in to energize the fan. I've had these get flaky after a long time as well.

A/C and defrost have another path from the A/C module or computer to energize the fan, bypassing the relay. In the meantime, just tell the wife to leave the defrost on, this should keep the fan running constantly if everything else is in order. You can get by this way with a bad tstat and fan switch.

Anyway, my point of reference is only having worked on one Ford that exhibited similar problems, severe temp spike at idle. Some Fords might be different then the way mine was setup, but can't be that much different.

Reply to
sleepdog