2.8, 2.9, 4.0 V-6 blocks the same?

I read somewhere that these engines all use the same block. Is this true?

Not the same blocks... same 60 V-6 family though... Cologne engine family by Ford of Germany. Add in the 2.6L Capri engine too, it was also available in the Pinto and Bobcat. A very compact engine, the 4.0 I believe has a higher deck height than the others, and has gone through it's own evolution and product improvement as an engine series. Millions made... don't forget, 1 of every 4 SUVs on the road is an Explorer, and then add in all the derivatives / siblings (all AWD & some 2WD Aerostars, and Ranger pickups...).
Rob * * *
Trainfan1 wrote:

V6 Pintos and Bobcats came with the 2.8, never the 2.6.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2641/index.html
Gerard
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html

Yup, we called it the 171 CID. 1975-1979 would be the the 2800 Capri II engine, I guess.
Rob * * *

Thanks. Reason I was asking - I have a '75 Bobcat wagon that I plan to do some work on. It's already been customized into a "Crusin' Wagon" by a previous owner. I was wondering about the possibility of using fuel injection off a later model 2.9. Or maybe just drop in a later model 2.9. I looked at one once, and it looks like they redesigned that troublesome thermostat setup the 2.8 had.
Try these groups for more Pinto/Bobcat experience.

People have installed 302 V8's in Pintos, should be plenty of room for a 2.9L
mike hunt