2000 Contour

I just took my 2000 Contour in for repair due to a problem with the Shift Interlock system. I could place the vehicle into drive with the key in lock
position and without pushing on the brake. I was informed that this is a common problem and normally parts/labor would be just under $200. However they also found that the interlock cable was broke and so would cost well over $400 to repair. I decided to get a second opinion and picked the vehicle up. I have now noticed a change with the way it shifts. Before I could push the shift button in while in park and easily shift into gear. Now I can't push the button in while in park and I have to apply pressure to get into gear. I asked the dealer about this change and they couldn't offer any reason for this change. Can anyone offer an explanation on why this has changed?
scub wrote:

same problem on that web site... pretty good info on contours..