2000 Contour SE V6

Page 1 of 4
I'm trying to change the oil for the first time on my mom's 2000 Countor SE with the V6. It's always gone to the dealer before for oil changes. I am unable to get the oil drain plug off. Due to it's
location, I can't use a socket set, because the exhaust is in the way. I have tried a wrench, but it's on there good. I have made sure I am turning anti-clockwise.
Anyone have any tips on getting this thing off?
I'll second JohanB's suggestion.
While there is a great feeling of accomplishment with all of lifes "firsts", the risk of creating grief with an aluminum oil pan on a "high strung" engine is great.
In the FWIW department.... none of my techs (I'm shop foreman, now, folks - sometimes that feels like a demotion) will get in trouble for asking for help too soon.... they will get in trouble for asking for it too late. If you have a reluctant fastener, it is easier to be shown techniques in person or have someone watch your technique to keep you out of trouble.
It should come off easliy. My F-150 plug doesn't have issues. Shouldn't need to go to the dealer to get the oil drain plug off.
On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:24:42 GMT, "Jim Warman"

They admited the damaged it by over tightening it, and had to replace the plug.
On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:24:42 GMT, "Jim Warman"

My experience with that engine is a six point box end wrench makes the job a WHOLE LOT easier and less stressfull. I put the wrench on and give it a gentle swatt with my durathane hammer.
***
My experience shows that if something can be screwed up, it will be screwed up.... I dislike telling a well meaning customer that his attempts to service his neighbours/aunts/grandpas/girlfriends car have made recovery difficult and the bill is $X00.00 please.....
There's not much you're going to do to a car that can be considered inexpensive, these days.... having a badly handled mistake is not going to make things cheaper.
Cheap tools can render a fastener difficult... after that, the vise grips come out - maybe a pipe wrench or any other cobbled idea. By the time someone with experience gets to it.........
Any decent tech is worth his money.... if someone makes his job harder, the costs will be passed on down the line.
I have encountered a drain plug torqued to at least 200 ft lb in a used vehicle that I once bought. A 'technician' at a fast lube place probably assumed that the drain plug holds the car together... Nothing but an impact wrench would even budge it. By some miracle, the thread in the pan was still intact.

folks -

person
That's the last resort. Already have a better quality oil that the dealer. Besides, the plug should come off. Never had a problem on my F-150
On Sun, 21 May 2006 08:10:17 -0700, "JohanB"

"Better quality" of oil is term up for grabs...... After all these years, the oil I use is more than adequate..... I could get "better" oil for added cost. I don't need "better" oil since I wont see operating conditions that NEED "better" oil..... meaning the added expense is wasteful.....
The plug should indeed come off.... and you may have never had a problem with your drain plug. But, your drain plug is not every drain plug.... and I have seen all manner of self inflicted problems.
Bottom line... if you are having trouble STOP!!!! Do not make things worse through inexperienced, poorly considered attempts. Just because you haven't seen a problem does not mean there isn't the chance for a problem to arise... and it doesn't mean that problems haven't arised. FWIW, I probably do more oil changes in a month than you've done in your life..
I know what the oil is, and its the best out there. Specificaly Amsoil ASL 5W-30.
I'm hardly inexperianced when it comes to this kind of thing. I have given up, and let the dealer who screwed it up fix it. Not sure why they keep overtignening them.
On Mon, 22 May 2006 04:54:21 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Go look at the test results.

Thats pure BS. I have just never worked on a Contour before.

SpAmsoil hasn't even been approved by the API. I wouldn't put that stuff in my car.

You have to pay a lot of money to use the API logo on your product. Keep your head in the sand

Go ahead and keep your head up your ass if you want... but if it were any good they would be glad to pay the money to have it tested
Bob wrote:

lol good one

They are the best, testing proves this, why you have such a hard time reading test results is beyond me.

Who's tests? If they seriously ARE the best, and want to hit the wider market they HAVE to go though the SAE hoops. Until they do, they are just wannabees. They may not (definitely DO not) like it, but regardless HOW good they are, the PERCEPTION will always be they have something to hide. Between that and their MLM marketing system - - - - - .
***
On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:37:34 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

There are plenty of test results out there. www.bobistheoilguy,com for one. Agh, so what you dont like in the MLM marketing system they use. Now the truth comes out
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
<SNIP>

Their own self-serving promotional test results. If everyone was as gullible as you believing a company's biased test results we would still be swallowing Vioxx and dying.
--
I. Care