2000 Ford Expedition Starting Problems

My 2000 expedition has been driving fine until I tried to start it today. When I turn the key to start, all the gages spin all the way to the right, and there is a loud clicking chatter near the firewall behind battery, at
least that is where it sounds like it is coming from. The car will not turn over, just this loud clicking and really haywire gages. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike