2000 ford focus accelerates on it's own

Hi, I've got a 2000 ford focus zts. Whenever I start the car, it idles very high as if I've got my foot on the accelerator. When it is put in drive, it continually
accelerates to at least 45 mph with my foot coming no where near the accelerator. Can someone please clue me in to what is happening and possibly how to fix it? Thanks so much. Gus

continually accelerates to at least 45 mph with my foot coming no where near the accelerator. Can someone please clue me in to what is happening and possibly how to fix it?

That would be your transmission malfunctioning. Did you check the tachometer (if equipped) on your vehicle to see how fast the transmission was going? I've had that problem before on my Taurus and what I would do, shift your car into neutral, while holding your foot on the brake and see if the engine would idle slower, if it does, leave your car into neutral and turn off the engine. Then start the car the car agian. If problem continues, see a qualified technician to have your transmission fixed.
~CyberWolf