2000 Ford Ranger

I've just purchased a used 2000 Ford Ranger (3.0 liter, 6 cyl) seemingly in mint condition throughout. However, one thing puzzles me. After crawling around
underneath this vehicle, I did not see a single grease zerk. Nor were there any plugs which could be removed and replaced with a zerk. In other words, these seems to be no way the chassis on this truck can be lubricated. What's going on here? Surely, this vehicle was not lubricated for life at the factory. Also, there is no way to drain the differential without removing the rear plate. I'll welcome any comments on this. Thanks.

You're right, there arent. Been QUITE a while since you bought -or serviced- a car, huh?
Been that way only about the last 20 years. And yes, ball joints now typically last 150k instead of the 60k or so in the fifties
And why would you want to drain the diff without removing the rear plate?
This is a light pickup. Not a dumptruck.

I have replaced A LOT of ball joint and control arms well under 100k
Especially on Expeditions/f150
Johan

Ooops.. my bad, oh wait.. is that like a Ranger? ;)
I'd be interested, though in knowing if the boots were unbroken and full of dried grease... or just rust. I also did a few... just backyard, understand... in the sixties that seemed to have come with minimal lube in them.
Lately on my beaters, none that didnt have either broken boots or boots full of solid crud.. those were at about 180K

150k, wich there not

Boots still ok, just lack of lubrication caused by dryed up grease

I check mine every year... find that on Mustangs.. about 150, on MN12's about 170K
Maybe I'm just lucky.
You're wrong, wrong, wrong, Junkyard Mechanic. My last vehicle was a '92 Ranger and it had grease zerks on the front suspension, which I lubricated regularly. As for the differential, I didn't say I wanted to drain it. I said there was no drain plug in it. Again, my '92 Ranger had a drain plug. In fact, every vehicle I've ever owned had a drain plug in it. And I've owned a few.

okay. So I guess they decided to do it like a car.

No, it didn't..... and I can't think of Ford car or light truck built in the last 25 years that did have one. Bob

Hell, there are Ford 9" rear axles that didn't even have a fill plug.

except for the new IRS diffs there are no drain plugs

FYI, I have a '91 Ranger sitting in my driveway that when new, had no grease nipples anywhere. I know that because I changed one of the original tie-rods and another part of the steering, neither had nipples on them. My rear end does not have a drain plug either, you have to pull the pan slowly and let the fluid drain at the bottom.
Sharky