2000 Ford Taurus Bad Engine Noise

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 OHV that is making a strange engine noise when I accelerate. The sound only happens when I aggressively accelerate, at normal acceleration it doesn't seem to make noise. The
only times I notice it is when I get on to an highway or when I pass someone on the highway. I first thought it might be a spark knock, however the noise seems consistent not matter which type/brand of fuel I use. Someone else thought it might be bad values. Its likes a knock, tick, rattle type of sound (hard to explain). Spark plugs are fairly new (10k on them), I put them in as soon as I purchased the car (used) and its made the noise since I bought it.
Any ideas of what this noise could be? I don't want to have to take it into a dealer.
Thanks vtx
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

cleaning the MAF and new fuel filter. Usually spark knock happens at light accel though.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you hear the noise at a particular RPM? Could you induce the same effect by revving the engine up slowly while in park? Does this only happen when the engine is under load?
Matthew
I have tried 'r e v v i n g' the engine while parked and it doesn't seemed to reproduce the noise. It only seems to make the noise when actually moving/accelerating.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On 19 Nov 2006 20:31:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As said before, start by cleaning the MAF sensor in the intake tube. That vintage also had a problem with the DPFE sensor which controls the EGR that will cause severe knock. There was a recall on them. You should have the PCM read for any fault codes. You can post them back here for a bit more help. You need the exact code. Many auto parts stores will read the fault codes for free on the hopes you will buy their parts to repair.
Lugnut
I just had it in for recall work a few months ago, but it was for spring covers and a stop light switch. They didn't mention anything related to the engine. Should I call up the dealer?
lugnut wrote:

On 21 Nov 2006 16:31:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Have the dealer run an OASIS check on it to see if it has been replaced. That won't mean there is nothing wrong with it; it just means it has already bee replaced under the recall campaign. Also, I hope you used a decent spark plug when you replaced them. You should be using the Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. Not all manufacturers rate their heat ranges the same way or, at least, it doesn't work out that way in the engine. I still suspect your problem is in the EGR system which is controlled by the DPFE sensor.
Lugnut