2000 Ford Taurus Struts

How do you know when to replace the struts on a 2000 Taurus? We have 99,000 miles on it?

When it starts handling badly.. Like if you are driving down the road and you hit a bump and the wheel keeps bouncing.
Quick test, jump on your bumper a couple times, and then jump off. If your vehicle continues the up and down strokes more than 3 times, its time to replace them. Do this on front and back.
Side note: I have 113,000mi on my 2000 Ranger and they are still good. That even includes some off road drivin at 20+mph through rough pastures with 800 +/- 50lbs of hay on the back.
Ford Tech
Ford Tech wrote:

More than 1/2 a bounce for me on the Taurus and it's going in for replacements. I won't put up with more than one rebound.
Still originals, & tight, at 180,000 mi.
Rob

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:31:26 -0500, trainfan1

Today's strut suspensions definitely stand up MUCH better than the shocks of old. Not at all out of the ordinary to have struts last 300,000km, where the old shocks were DONE long before 50,000.
One rebound on the shocks, and one on the tires is enough.

Ok about that note on my truck, I forgot to mention that I was talking about shocks on my truck, but since they do the same job as stuts on a car, it would be the same thing.. OK.. LOL
Be careful here. Have the springs in the front been replaced? i had a 2000 and it had a broken coil at the spring seat. I found it out by sticking my hand in there and finding a sharp, broken end. So, the issue may wind up being the spring and not the strut. Also, Ford has an extended warranty on the front springs for early breakage on these models. Catch is that Ford has to do the work on repairs. But that's ok because the Taurus had various spring designs and only the Ford springs make the car sit correctly and don't bottom out the loading on the cv joints and shafts.
stonetool wrote:

a replacement that works well (obviousy only in pairs)

Thanks gang. The reason for the question is, it's our daughter's college car. I took it to goodyear for an oil change and alignment and walked away with about $2500 worth of repairs that were suggested. Mind you, the car is maintained extremely well since she drives back and forth from school. It didn't make a sound, bounce excessively when I drove it. It bounces back after one push down with no extra bounces.
Thanks again.