2000 Ford Taurus - wind shield fluid dispenser problem

Hi, when I try to use the wind shield cleaner, I can hear the pump operating but only a few drops of wind shield cleaner fluid comes out from the nozzle. The spray is so weak that it doesn't make it to the wind shield. Yes, I have checked to make sure that there was wind shield cleaner fluid in the car :)

Has anyone ever had this problem before on this or any other car? I'm trying to see if the problem is with the pump or some where else? It's not really an issue most of the time, but I do have problems driving the car during winter months when they salt the roads.

Reply to
johnnyoo

The most likely thing seems to be a clogged nozzle. Look at the nozzle and see if anything is clogging it. Bits of leaves and stuff can get in there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I took a look at the hoses and it turned out to be pretty deteriorated. I replaced one section of the hose (the one that I can see under the hood) but there seems to be another area that also has a leak (probably a crack). I'll have to get a guide to tell me how this hose is ran from the windshield fluid pump.

Reply to
johnnyoo

It might be slime on the pump intake filter. I don't know if the Taurus is affected by this, but my Mondeo certainly was - some kind of blue slime seemed to thrive in there, and it seems to be a common problem. If it /is/ slime, and you're lucky, you can get it out by pushing a bottle brush in the reservoir, and agitating it in the area where you think the pump is connected. The water, and the hopefully freed slime, can then be siphoned out.

Lee.

Reply to
Mr. Spigot