2000 ford winstar transmission trouble

got a 2000 ford winstar the transmission started to make a roaring sound when you start it up and you oput it in gear it wount do anything

How Many miles do you have on it? Have you ever changed the filter/fluid in the transmission?

69,000 miles and i just bought it 1 month ago
Hate to say it. Sounds like the transmission will need service. My previous van was a 1995 Windstar, bought it used,and the service on the transmission was never done. Same thing happened to that one as in yours. The clutches are slipping. 3200 dollars later it was repaired. You can try to repalce the filter/fluid, but my guess it's too far for that. The fluid is most likely reddish/brown right now. If you did drop the pan, there is a magnet in the pan for very fine metal shavings. The pan is probably loaded with them.

replace filter and still same guess it transmission over haul

Is the transmission a AXODE? (It'll say Ford Metric AXOD on the pan, )
-LMB
yes it has axod transmission
Hey guys. I have the girlfriends 99 Windstar w/ 175K on it and overdrive light comes on at cruise with subsequent engine lugging.... Is it trans replacement time?
it could be time take and have it put on a machine to see if it shows anything it could be a sencer my trans trouble was the pump in the trans it cost about $35.00 to have it checked
Jimmyh, Thanks for the reply. Did you take it to a dealership to have it "put on a machine" ? I hope its something cheap as the car otherwise drives great with 175k on the mileage.
took it to a transmission shop